Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hey Slick !!



Today is my dad's birthday... one of his many greetings included, "Hey, Slick" and I'm bringing it back! To celebrate his life, I wanted to include somethings he did that made the world a better place. Pick a few that you might try:
  • Love life. This is one of my favorite photos of my dad. He lived big and he loved big. This is him parasailing down in Mexico. Don't forget to enjoy.
  • Call kids you love your "best pal". The more kids getting this welcome, the better.
  • Tell stories to your kids. My dad had the best series called, "Bear Lake Monster". In each story, my Uncle Dean needed saving and my dad was always kind enough to be the hero. My kids and I have a series of narrated stories all our own.
  • Love listening to music. My dad would sing off key and did not play an instrument. But he lived, loved, and worked for music. It had a deep influence on my life and I love all music (except rap; but then again that's not music).
  • Let you wife help you coordinate your clothes. In a while, you will catch on and look sharp. Thanks mom for polishing him up.
  • Love to laugh and look for opportunities to create laughter. Even after my father suffered a stroke and lost his ability to speak, he and my mother found a way to laugh often. It makes the tough times a little sweeter.
  • Enjoy all cultures and foods. My parents were able to travel a lot and see many cultures. I haven't traveled that much... but I love to eat. So, I enjoy food from all ethnicity's (where I live it's pretty diverse).
  • Live with some flowers in your yard. OK, dad...I've slacked a little on this, but hope that having our grass alive will count.
  • Serve others, there's always an opportunity. There were many things my dad loved to do that made things a little special. One day the "cable" was out during a big game. He got friends together with their families and we all went to the motel to watch the game and party.
  • Love your family and love the Lord. Don't forget the essentials.
  • Be friendly. My dad would ask if we could go for a walk. I knew it would include many stops and chatting with everyone that was outside along our way. I loved that.
  • Put a little "pizazz" into teaching. My dad is one of my favorite teachers..."and lo and behold" was one of his catch phrases. He had memorable stories that illustrated the lessons of the Savior.
  • Learn that families are forever. This is a lesson that I am still learning and am so grateful for this blessing. Family bonds do not end after this life; I feel him near. One day I will be able to hug him tight and say thank you.
Daddy, I love you. I'm giving you the "double thumbs up" that was your trademark. Happy birthday.