Monday, February 02, 2009

"Do not Disturb" the Swing Shift

Sunday while I was laying down in my bed to rest, Jacob crept into my room with a sticky note. The note read, "do not disturb". He took this note and placed it on the top of my head. I pretended to be asleep and opened my eyes just enough to watch him sneak outside my room. When I read the note, I realized it was time to get up and spend together time.

What is the point of this story?
Well, Last Saturday, Sister Julie B. Beck addressed us. She is the General Relief Society President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She is also from my home town Alpine, and she and her husband are family friends of ours which made her visit to California all the sweeter.

During her talk she taught of "the Swing Shift".
She asked us to prepare our days so that the swing shift is the most important. Our days are filled with many shifts: morning shift, graveyard shift, etc. You know the swing shift, the one in the afternoon when the kids are home from school, homework time, snack time, play time. Pres. Beck said to be aware of what we use our energy on. Make sure the swing shift is where we focus our energy to give our family what they need. Don't use all of your energy on the other shifts of our day that we don't have enough for the swing shift. During this shift, they need us. They are hungry and they are teachable.

Thank you Pres. Beck and Ramon Beck for the wonderful visit. Your words spoke peace to my heart an energized my spirit. May all of our efforts be increased and the Lord will magnify these efforts for good. As we build up within the walls of our own homes, be careful with our "do not disturb" signs.
(as a side note, a very BIG thank you to Corrine Barlow who is a friend I haven't seen since high school. She lives in California now and was the only 'approved' photographer for the Saturday event. She was taking photos as I met up with the Beck's and was sweet enough to capture this.)