Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Over worked, Under Paid leads to rebellion

Scott & I were laughing at this past week's events.  Remember my last blog entry about my new idea book about raising responsible adults?  Well, this week...the kids started their revolution, more like work release credit! The realized that I became lazy and had not paid them their allowance in a few months.  They also realized that the road to being a responsible kid doesn't come easily.  And so I send out a caution to parents: "when workload is increased, make sure you increase praise...oh and by all means, don't forget the allowance". 

Here's the incident as recorded by Scott, fortunately I missed this one.
"Jacob got a gift card for Borders Bookstore that he wanted to go redeem today.  It was only for $5.00 so I made the mistake of reminding him that he wouldn't be able to afford any book for over $5.00.  This touched off a rather animated conversation with Jacob and Carter.
Jacob, "We'd have more money if you guys paid us our allowance." Carter, "Yeah! What happened to that?" I made the mistake of saying, "you guys could get some cash if you did your extra money jobs." Jacob replied, "The worst part is that now you re-did the jobs so that one bathroom is now like 5 extra jobs would be. The tub, wash the mirrors, clean the sinks, and do the countertops."  Carter, "Dad, it's too much work!" Jacob: "And there's no time to do extra money jobs because when we come home, we have homework, or track on Tuesdays and Thursdays, piano, and Scouts on Wednesdays. And by then, we are too tired, DAD!" Carter: "Too much work DAD!" Jacob: Not even the lawn is an extra money job anymore! AND I shouldn't have listened to you when I bought that 'Around the world in 80 Days' book.  I would have at least had the $5.00 extra dollars if I didn't do that.  That book didn't even hold my interest! I only got half the way through it!!"  Carter: "Yeah Dad, it didn't hold my interest!!"  Scott: "When did you read it Carter?"  Carter: "I read one word...and I lost interest.... I read the word..."I" !!!"  At this point I was laughing pretty hard at this over-worked, under paid rebellion.  I was being ambushed by Jacob and his brother Carter.  Later that  night, Marci found a note that Sperry had written, who is 6 yrs old.  It had scrawled in black crayon on her kindergarten reader.  It had a picture of a crying frowny face and the words, "I hafta doe xtra wook" which is interpreted as,  "I have to do extra work".

As a visual reminder, I will give you Sperry's paper I found on the floor.  It kind of sums it all up...