Thursday, January 27, 2011

A little everyday

I'm working hard here on my new plan for building strength, energy and endurance.
A little everyday...that's my new motto for 2011.  It's actually pretty easy, and I don't call it exercise. I just call it a little something. Today, I've gotta brag a little. I went out on the bike and tackled a big fear of mine. Carter, Sperry and I rode our bikes to the school this morning. Usually Scott will do this for us but as I said earlier, "a little everyday".  So, I decided to tackle this fear, bike locks and all.

It was going great, Carter zoomed ahead of us and we didn't see him much on the ride (mental note to adjust our plan to wait for us at the busy street so we can cross together and mom won't silently freak out inside). Sperry and I rode together and had a great time. That is until we got to the bike racks, saw Carter's bike and realized he has all the bike locks in his backpack.  Ohhh, keep calm, remember you are tackling a fear and this is one of the things you were afraid of...putting together those darn locks on the bikes.  So, I sent Sperry down to find him on the playground while I watched from on top of the hill by the bikes. Sperry delivered the message, but by that time, Carter heard the "line up" bell and decided to be on time for school. 

That left me with no locks, having to walk down bike shorts and all (not my favorite outfits to be seen in) clicking down the stairs in my shoes.  "A little everyday" repeated in my mind as I remember to keep the stress "little".  When I met up with Carter, he told me that he didn't have the bike locks. So, dug into his backpack and whalla...the illusive locks. I locked up the bikes and was off.  But I had one more little fear to conquer. I knew if I rode a little further, I would have another mile under my belt for the morning and have gone up the "steep hill" by our house. That hill has been something I've been afraid to tackle on my bike...I thought it would be too hard. Scott encouraged me yesterday when he told me that anything you can walk up, you can ride up. He told me just to take my time and lower the gears and crank up the hill.  Now, to the normal eye, they wouldn't see a big scary hill.  But I have a trained eye, keenly aware of hills that might be too macho for my wimpy body.

I decided to tackle the hill.  I ratcheted down a few gears and kept reminding myself that if I keep the pedals going, the bike will hoist itself up the big hill. And I made it! I did a victory lap (a short one cause my wimpy arms were sore and I didn't bring any water). So I challenge you to do "a little everyday".  What are you trying to make happen, what goals seem too big, what fear can be broken into bite size pieces? Strive for a little everyday and your big hill will boost you into trying again tomorrow.  Gotta give my wimpy arms a rest, they might not have enough strength to do dishes today :)