Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Swirling around

So many big life moments have been swirling around and I haven't even caught it all in. Here's a few things that have been happening lately to my fabulous kids. Yes, you heard me, I think my kids are fabulous they make me laugh hard, reason a little too well, and they remember what I promise to do. As a parent, you always hope that they will do a little better than you did.  They do well in school (hopefully don't goof off in class like I did). They enjoy sports (which I enjoyed, but wasn't good at them). They are avid readers (and I have rekindled my love for elementary grade chapter books...oooh with pictures).  They are good workers (and I test them every Saturday with their bathroom cleaning skills.) They love to play together (even when it is not mandatory.)  They camp, they are learning music, and already are better at remembering things than I am.  They love it when we tuck them in at night.  Every night before I go to bed I go back in their rooms, cover them again with the blanket and give them a "sneak kiss". I've been doing this for years, and it's become a part of my last act for them of the day.

I love this age, I have always wanted to have kids. Even on the hard days, I remind myself that this is what I was waiting and wanting for years and years. Now, we are not perfect, but we are happy. 
I'll need to add pictures later...see I said that I wasn't perfect. Visualize things people!!

Jacob, or "sport shorts" is now a Tenderfoot in Boy Scouts. He has been working hard at the overnight campouts and lucky for me, Scott helps with the Scout stuff.  He will be going to the Camporee next weekend with Scott and get's to enjoy all the skits he can sit through. (Personally, scout skits are lost on me, but I guess I'm not the demographic they are trying to reach).  Jacob is so funny and has a great sense of humor.  And he can whip out the Star wars theme on the piano multiple times during his "practice sessions". Just to see if I'm listening.  On sports fields, I always told him he had "crazy legs" because of the power he's got in those things to really move. If he is missing during the day, I know he's gotten a new book and I'll find him reading in his room. He likes the heavy books that weight down a backpack.

Carter just got his Bear in scouts. He even built a birdhouse that stayed together during the rain storms last week. He is going to be Merryweather Clark in the 4th grade play.  This week he will compete in the Jr Olympics and run on the High School track. He's running the 200 meters and I'm so excited to see him in  his t-shirt and sport shorts with a smile. This kid isn't afraid to try new things. His nickname for years on the sports fields has been "magic feet" because he can get things done. He has finished the Harry Potter series this year. Hmmm when was the last time I picked a book over 600 pages... Now if I can somehow velcro his lunchbox to his hand. That alone could save me $40.00 in school supplies.  This kid has a unique sense of humor and a gift for stating the less obvious in a crafty comical way.

Sperry is a soccer player. She loves playing sports and keeps a soccer ball in her room to practice a few kicks before bedtime (Scott found out what the thumping was). I nicknamed her "feet of fire" because she moves so quickly on the field. She and I enjoyed going to her school for a Spa day. Second SPA day in my life, but I liked it.  This girl loves music and likes to secretly play some of her brother's piano music. She is currently into Judy Moody books and likes to read to me. She loves her stretch pants and teaches me that they are called leggings.  She is the artist that can find something to do with every piece of cardboard or bead or fabric that I am throwing away. I promise we will get your shelf up in your room before you are awarded your soccer trophy.

Scott...well he helps me to navigate through it all. I don't want to embarrass him, but he is a rock'n dad and husband. He just did some light remodeling to a bathroom in our house which makes me fall in love all over again with him.  Just think of the accolades when he puts in the new kitchen faucet!! Thanks for all you do and who you are. Sperry as a baby called him "big guy". I love that nickname.


As for me, well I'm the boring one. I get to do laundry and have become "errand girl". But, whenever I need to be reminded of how much I am loved, I break out the ice cream after dinner and enjoy the cheering. It's not bribery people, it's a creamy way to show them love.