Sunday, April 10, 2011

Carter's mad dash

Carter made the front page of our city's local paper, the Acorn.
He is the in middle (4th in from each side) with red shorts on.

Last Saturday Carter had been training with his track team from his Elementary. His was to run the 67 meters race in the city's "Jr. Olympics" where all the teams from all the elementary schools of our city compete in different events.  Carter did a wonderful job and stayed in pack during the mad dash to the finish. He got to run on the high school track, have a stadium of parents cheering, and of course his highlight...visit the snack bar.

He was calm and collected. He did not get nervous...instead he was funny as he joked just before the race with the officiator. How did I get kids that manage stress much better than I do?  Carter, we are so proud of you! Welcome to your chicken bowl and skittles after your mad dash. You earned that trip to the snack bar, for sure!! Great work trying something new, practicing, running a mile at least once a week in training.  You did great!

Funny story: I was at church and a friend asked me if Carter was on the front page of the newspaper (that I must admit just ends up in the recycle bin at my house a lot).  I told her no, that must be someone else. But, since she mentioned, I dug through my recycle bin. Luckily it wasn't far from the top, and whalla there he was. Just goes to show that going to church can really help you with responsibilities as a mother.  AND, that others are watching out for your family. Thanks Tammi!!