I am a woman. I do not need a title of "feminist" or "equality" to help define me. I hope that my faith and actions build the titles of "amazing mom, loving wife, woman of faith". Lately, a lot of things that I love have come under challenges or being attacked by some who do not see a full vision of the purpose and potential given to bless lives. But I continue to see how the Priesthood, which is God's power given to worthy men; and how Scouting, which is more than requirements and activities also given to men and boys, has blessed not only the lives of my family and myself. But, they have also given me a front row to witness miracles and become aware that our Heavenly Father is over all and loves us.
God's plan is not to take the responsibility of one group and give it to another to be made equal. I remember my mother trying this theory one week for our Saturday morning jobs. When she took a few jobs from my sibling's list and put them on my list, I did not feel equal. I did not need their work to bring value to my own. As member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I believe that men and women have different roles, different callings to help us achieve our potential. Some of those "errands" are unique to only one, and some of them we share as women, and they compliment those given to men in each bringing pieces to aid in building up a family in unity and equality. Some things Scott is better at, and some things I do a little better at.
There is a group who has not only challenged but recruited other members of my church, which is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to protest and demand that women are given the Priesthood. I am not affiliated in any way with this demand. And as "Decisions Determine Destiny" as quoted by our Prophet Thomas S. Monson, those who decide to live contrary to the covenants they have made as members of the church can determine to leave the church they love over the very things they are fighting for.
This time has caused me a lot of reflection on the countless miracles I have witnessed as a woman who as been blessed by the Priesthood. Yesterday, my concerns with my health consumed me. I wondered if I would ever be able to find answers to my ailment and a path to pursue in getting better. I asked Scott for a blessing which is always my "go to" in my first aid kit of getting on with a better tomorrow. And helps me to arrive at a place of peace that I can not find anywhere else other than reaching out to the Lord for help. After the blessing, my reset button was hit and we will continue to wait for the purposes of this trial to be made manifest.
As a woman, I know that the Priesthood is given to bless the lives of all. It is not something I aspire to hold. I share in helping 3 men in my home to honor the Priesthood that they worthily hold. The word "equal" does not mean the same. Men and Women are both seen as equal in the eyes of the Lord. Elder Oaks, and Apostle of the Lord, quoted in his talk "The Keys and Authority of The Priesthood", President J. Reuben Clark.: “This is the place of our wives and of our mothers in the
Eternal Plan. They are not bearers of the Priesthood; they are not
charged with carrying out the duties and functions of the Priesthood;
nor are they laden with its responsibilities; they are builders and
organizers under its power, and partakers of its blessings, possessing
the complement of the Priesthood powers and possessing a function as
divinely called, as eternally important in its place as the Priesthood
itself."
I am grateful to have the title of "wife, mother, womanhood" relevant to my mission in coming closer to God. I am grateful to share in Priesthood blessings which are given to all who ask.
Now, about Scouting. I have never been a scout. Sperry wishes that she could be a boy scout because of all the cool things they get to do. But right now, Scouting is a big part of our lives. Jacob and Carter are both working (or get to be "encouraged to keep working") on their Eagle projects with a completion goal by the end of summer. Scott continues to serve again as Scout Master, and for the past year, I have been serving as Cub Master (which is so much fun!)
Once again, with the demands of others, Scouting suddenly became challenged by those who believe in same sex marriage. (And as you can see from my life, I believe in marriage being between a man and a woman). Others can make their choices for how they live. But Scouting was hit hard with a push for having leaders who live same sex attraction. Every boy no matter what they struggle with (because we all struggle with something) is invited to attend Scouting as long as they live the same oaths that is expected from each of their members.
Scouting holds more purpose than pursuing merit badges that will be stapled, glued, melted or even sewn onto a uniform. Here's a few things, of the many, that I have seen from scouting. Friendship, unity, learning of your "Duty to God", service, and the art of reaching for more than a boy thought they could aspire to. That reaching for more has been inspiring to see. Each boy that takes a hold of scouting has opportunity to learn about themselves, how to lead, how to serve, and how to leave the world a better place due to "a good turn".
I appreciated this quote from President Thomas S. Monson, 16th President of the Church “Scouting brings out the best in each of us. You’ve learned much from Scouting. Live what you’ve learned and will continue to learn. Help others to hike the trails, to keep steadfast in the paths of truth, of honor, of duty, that all of you can soar together on eagles’ wings. You are part of a might army of youth, even a royal army, and every organization, to be successful, has an honored tradition to uphold. May you uphold Scouting’s tradition, for it can be as a lighthouse beacon in the world of stormy seas, it can be a motivation to prepare for your role in life, it can be a yardstick against which you measure your accomplishments.” (“President Monson Discusses Strengths of Scouting, 2014")

