Friday, July 17, 2009

Handcart or Carpool

In honor of Pioneers and my ancestors from both sides, I must pose that age old question. Which is more difficult: handcarts or carpools. Well, a few years ago our Stake Presidency gave us an opportunity to have a day as a Pioneer. Let me tell you, just getting the handcart from the parking lot was enough experience for me. Those who gave up so much to cross the plains, mountains and sometimes, icy rivers gained a new sense of gratitude from me. I love reading the stories from my family history. They are stories of strong faith, strong feet and endurance. There are so many stories that would make a great movie. Snakes, hardships and even a kidnapping don the pages of these times. Whenever you feel like the load you have is heavy, get a box and slap some big wheels on the sides of it and start pulling. It gives a certain perspective and a love for the dutch oven cobbler.

I'll take my carpools any day! (Erica, thanks for the sign "Nascart" during the trek...it was very funny).