Thursday, May 05, 2011

Bri Brave, Bri Strong, Bri loved

A note to my friend Bri: she has fought valiantly, but the cancer is everywhere and she is finishing her work here upon the earth. So, I'm writing a little note of things I would like to share with her. She knows my heart.


When I first met you I thought: Geez, is there anything this girl isn't able to do? She can run in the Boston Marathon, is a fabulous mother, very sweet wife, and reach out to others in a personal way. She has a brilliant understanding of why we are here on earth and where we are going.  Her light is so bright, many wanted to find the same light; an assurance of a loving Savior and Eternal Father in Heaven.

Bri would get it. A few years ago, when I was so weak or struggling with pain and the difficulty of not being able to do all the things I used to, Bri knew how to relate.  She would always say the right thing to calm my heart and help me continue with joy. When she had her down times battling cancer, once again we were able to talk about the things that really matter. We both had experiences of personal lessons and growth during times when physically we were very limited. It became fun to share some of the things that we were learning, and helped to ease the occasional burden. We supported each other, she is such a gift to me.

She understood the purpose of being a mother.  Every night she would go to each of her children's bedrooms and lie beside them listening to them talk about their day. That was their time with her. She has an incredible bond with her children. Because, she loved them and listened. She and Eric have a special relationship that is so strong. You can tell they love each other. Her husband Eric is as amazing as she is. That's why they make such a wonderful team.  Her mother, Teri became my friend as she would come to serve their family with cheerfulness. I've learned a lot watching this family about how to serve with your heart and turning to the Lord with all your might, mind and strength.
 
Bri, I am grateful to have you as a friend. You will continue to raise the hands that hang down. Your gifts will continue to be used and magnified. Service will stay as a part of who you are. Now you will be able to continue serving others in a way that is not dependent upon physical boundaries. Your family will be able to continue beyond the grave because of your love with Eric and your sealing within the Temple. The promise of "time and all eternity" will be realized. You will continue to have a role in the lives of your children. There will be times when they are privileged to feel you close.  I know this to be true because I have felt my father's hand in my own life, who has been gone for over 20 years now.

So, I will continue to Bri Brave, Bri Strong, and Bri loved. Thank you being beautiful on the outside, but even more importantly on the inside. Thank you for your fight, love and friendship.
"I thank you for your faith and devotion to the gospel, for the love and care you show to one another, and for the service you provide." (quoted from Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in April, 2011)