Some of you are out and about enjoying those lazy summer days. Don't worry, we will be there with you soon. However, right now we are in the push to get finished with school. I am struggling to remember about lunch money, snacks, homework. I want to be thinking about the beach, museums, sleeping in, bike rides, camping, watching Phinneas and Ferb and eating BBQ on our patio. I do love a good school year, don't get me wrong. But sometimes there are the times when you don't want to be responsible. You get to let go a little and let things slide a little, and just enjoy. I'm also in the get things organized and clean out mode. Beware my children, we will be cleaning out toys and going into the depths of our closets all in the sake of sanity.
Speaking of sanity (remember that the post title said "thoughts" and my thoughts can get pretty random so just go with it.) I've been thinking a lot about those who have had a life changing event. In a move, new job or searching for that job, tornadoes, health crisis, or just plain things that happen to all of us...like life! There have been so many things that keep us in a constant state of learning. I guess I'm grateful for new things to learn. The trail can be pretty rocky but there are so many examples of strength and faith out there. Sometimes it takes the toll of an unplanned event to see their example shine through. I've seen a lot of shinny examples lately taking things one day at a time and rebuilding through hard work and faith.
At the end of the school year, my hopes of being a "fun" mother are high, and so is my hope to have energy enough to support the previous hope. I'm learning a lot from my children. The are excited to try new things like Jacob is playing tackle football (hope the plays will not be rehearsed on siblings), Carter is kicking it up with the swim team (he loves the water), and Sperry will be working on her swimming with a smile just like always (she even jumps off the high dive). My kids help me to see it's time to try new things and to be excited about it. Of course they can earn the initial summer shake for trying something new the first time. A little sweetness can help to calm fears. So, this year I'm going to try a few new things. I'm working one day at Cub Scout camp, work through family history, and trying to ride a road bike. These things are intimidating to me, but then again with so many people trying new things in life...why not join the fun. And to Scott, thanks for being my biggest cheerleader. I know you don't want pom poms, but you are so appreciated. (and to the rest of my cheering section, you know who you are and how much I am grateful for you).