Tuesday, June 07, 2011

HAGS to you

Scott and I were looking over Jacob's middle school yearbook. Sixth graders out here get a choice to continue in Elem. school or attempt middle school.  So, he ventured over to middle school and it was perfect choice for him, but his experiences are now typical of middle school and it takes me back.  (if you need a flashback, see Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2, Rodrick Rules. It will have you back in time within 5 minutes.)

We noticed in some of the signatures and notes in his yearbook included "HAGS". It took us a while to figure out the cryptic message, but the next day Scott figured it out. It stands for the old stand by, "Have A Great Summer".  I guess the acronyms are now a way of life. So HAGS to you and yours. We were laughing, so hard...why did it take us time to figure it out? I guess because we came from the full words version in our days.  When I showed Jacob some of my middle school yearbooks, He laughed at the things we would write.  Remember giving out your phone number, letting everyone know you were so glad to have a class with them, and how your older sister would sometimes write her descriptions of people in your yearbook under their pictures.  Jacob's favorite signature from my yearbook was something from our wonderful Colette Clark. I had never noticed it before, but it was so funny how one letter can make all the difference. It said, "Marci, you are so sweat."   I hope she meant "sweet".  Colette, did you mean sweat or sweet? You'll have to get back to me on this...oh great now I'm self conscious...just like in middle school. :)  HAGS, now maybe our kids will take us up a few notches on their "cool-o-meter".