Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pianists in Progress

Last Saturday Sperry and Carter played 2 songs each at their recital. Jacob has moved on to band in the fall...you know in middle school you get to pick the instrument? Well, he is going to be "practicing" or waiting until I remember to remind him to practice his favorite piano music (Star Wars and Hello Muddah Hello Faddah).  Carter did a wonderful job with his surfboard boogie, he likes the Jazz songs you know. He just got up there and played with the tricky tempo and all. It was groovy and a very proud moment for his mommy.  Sperry has really caught the music bug. She played the band comes marching and the tune is in my head for the next week, daily. I really don't mind the catchy tune rattling in my mind because it makes me think of how happy I am that my kids are getting their music appreciation time.

My dad would be so proud. Dad was always involved with music in one way or another. He worked for years at Kawai (best darn pianos ever), loved to listen to music and attend concerts. I can remember world class musicians coming to our humble home playing to "inspire us".  I'm a big music person. Music can bring out emotions in you that you didn't know exist. Get lost in a song, and thank me later for this gentle reminder.  Oh, a funny thing...the summer music schedule at the Farmer's Market in La Brea on Sept 2nd is the good old band, Gene Loves Jezebel. Wanna join me?