Monday, May 02, 2011

Spring Break

This past week was our spring break. I love having the kids around and going on adventures. This year, we kept it mellow and didn't go out of town. Instead we took advantage of the beautiful weather and stayed local.

We hung out at the beach, I wanted to get some spring color and got a small sunburn. The kids played in the cold waves and found sand crabs and dug a new irrigation system with plastic shovels. It was so nice to have the company of several friends and their kids hanging out with us. I love being at the beach, the sun, the snacks and the peace. It helps that the kids love it as much as I do.

Scott had a few days off, so he instigated the "mountain bike ride to the beach".  The trip was beautiful, fun, and harder than I remember. Be careful when someone tries to pull you into riding a trip that is mostly downhill. You'll be navigating speed control with a hand on the break, 12 crossings of streams (some deeper than others), and even might mysteriously hit a patch of poison oak...like I did. But, I'd recommend you go. It's a fun family event and watching my kids do more than I thought they could really made me proud.  Sperry's got more guts than I did at seven and the boys are getting skilled with their riding. It was so much fun...9 miles of fun.

We met friends at the park, the kids played a little tennis, and went swimming. And we watched a lot of movies at home. Nice and easy, that's how we like things. Now that I've gotten a taste of summer, it will be hard to get back into the swing of things and wait 6 more weeks for the vacation to begin.  Oh, summer...how we look forward to you.