moving saga continues...
Motion sickness is something that I get all the time. I get sick on a plane unless I have earplugs to help my equilibrium. I get sick riding in a car and looking at a map. And of course, I can get sick going through experiences so quickly that it makes my head swim. Yes, I was getting motion sickness following all the details in such a short period of time. For example, our house hunting trip.
During our house hunting trip, I could not have planned it any better. I kept feeling like I needed to stay thru Thursday in Denver. My mom kept assuring me that it will be fine and the kids will love a few more days with their cousins. I wondered, "do I need a little alone time? Why would I set my flight for 2 days after Scott returns to LAX?" I felt I was being pushed to stay a few days to learn the streets and find a route to the kids schools and to get started on the paperwork. I'm glad that I stayed because I needed to be present to help with the counter offer, I was able to visit both schools, and got the car insurance all tucked away. Our offer was accepted, we would be renting from them until our home sold (we could rent thru January). I had an address I could start putting on all my paperwork. I had a new floor plan that I loved and got to figure out where furniture would go. I felt really good as I flew back to pick up my kids in Utah. I spent the night at my mom's and then early, early the next morning we started our drive back to Cali. We had to get them ready for school (or at least 6 days of school).
We promised our kids that if they read the Book of Mormon this year, we would take them to Knott's Berry Farm. Sperry had to read 100 pages, not the whole book. And, I prefer the words, "earn" instead of bribery. But either way, I hoped it would help them to get into the habit of daily reading from a book that can change lives. If it took a trip to Knott's for them to deepen their testimony, I thought it was a good investment (and a good way to release some pressure we've been feeling and kick back...scream a little, and enjoy the day). Who knew that I was the biggest whimp of the family. The coaxed me into going on one minor roller coaster while Sperry was the biggest thrill seeker of the group. While we were playing, we talked about how many families were going through our house and all the realtor cards we would come home to as proof.
No cards! When we returned home, we found that no one had come while we were gone to look at the house. I freaked out again because I wanted our house to sell quickly, as in my time "one weekend". But I have learned that the Lord's promises are sure and I need to be patient. I don't like being patient, I like to get in there and get 'er done. But it became obvious that we were to focus all our time on getting the house ready, pack up our gear and move on out. And we had to have at least one trip to my favorite beach to watch the kids boogey board, build sandcastles, and get my head to stop swimming.
Two weeks later, we left our house empty, vacant, family-less...this is not what I wanted to do. But we decided that we were to move as a family. We didn't want Scott try working during the week, and flying home to LA every weekend. So we left our home, and took our family to a new adventure in Colorado. Our offer had been accepted, and the Labor Day deadline fell right into place.
Mental note, pack the sleeping bags and pillows when you embark on your roadtrip to your new home. You will need them as wait not so patiently for your new home. Living in an empty house for 5 days till the stuff arrived. I still can't wear the 3 outfits that were the only ones I packed. They got a lot of wearing during our trip and move in days. When the moving truck came, the kids were already in school, Scott had been at his new job for days, and I was ecstatic to dive in an empty boxes!