If you had ONE month to: interview with a new company, accept a new job, go house hunting in another state, find schools for your kids, leave a wonderful ward family, fix up your house, put your home on the market, work with 2 realtors, go to your nephew JC's wedding in Utah, and pack up all your belongings to move...would you do it?
If you would have asked me this early July 2011, I would have said there's no way. But then again, I had no idea what was in store for us this summer. It has been quite an adventure, and I'll give you some of the details. Because, I always like the details.
It all began when our family was happily comfortable with our schools, Scott's job, our friends and the So Cal lifestyle. Jacob was practicing football, Carter was on the swim team, and Sperry couldn't wait to begin playing soccer again with friends. But, this past summer felt very different for me. I kept telling my husband, Scott that something was different about that summer. We had to be very flexible this past summer, our plans kept changing and we had to roll with it. Our vacation dates would change and where we would go camping changed. In our Church I was asked in early July to serve as Relief Society President which was a big change. I didn't even have time to visit the beach which is one of my centering spots. There were more changes to come to our family, and I didn't even know it yet.
Mid July, a phone call came from a recruiter about a position that was interesting to Scott. He told them that he would be happy to hear what this company had to say, but let them know that we were very happy and settled with where we were. He wasn't interested in changing jobs at this time. The phone call from the company was very friendly, and they had some great projects that Scott was interested in. But, once again, Scott graciously mentioned that we were settled and he wasn't going to make any changes at this time. We laugh now at how we thought we knew what was best for us.
Nothing happened, two weeks went by and then a friendly e-mail came from Jeff, one of the Engineers from the company in Colorado. Jeff wrote in his e-mail that they knew Scott wasn't interested in changing, but asked if we would be interested in taking a trip with our FAMILY out to Colorado to see the area. It was the "no strings attached"" that caught my eye in the e-mail. Wouldn't that be a fun trip for us? Sperry had never been on a plane before and the job did sound like something Scott might like. The interview would only take part of Friday, and the rest of the weekend we could play.
While Scott and I were deciding if we should accept this trip offered. I had the impression that if we were to make this trip, relocating our family would have to be something we were open to. We would have to see the area and decide if we could see our our family could living here.
The trip was wonderful and it was fun to see Scott so excited about projects and the workplace. The kids loved the area and were elated with the fact that it was 4 hours closer to see the grandma's and cousins. It felt like a fit and I knew that we were being directed by our Heavenly Father to make a change. I guess I was too comfortable and there was another place the Lord wanted us to be. It was all falling quickly into place. Did I say quickly, I mean at the speed of sound.