Monday, January 06, 2014

FLASHBACK: Sledding at cemetery hill

My Dad's grave, with my "winterized" flowers as adornment
 If you grew up in a small town in Utah called Alpine, chances are you have gone sledding during your childhood at cemetery hill.  The rules were: don't get hurt, don't sled over a headstone you can see, and don't get in trouble for it.  So, while we were up in Utah visiting my old stomping grounds like my childhood home and my Dad's gravesite... the kids asked if they could go sledding just like the stories I have told them that I did.  We happened to have a sled in the van and just before sundown, they enjoyed it as much as I ever did.  Of course, we didn't go down the super steep area (I'm not a mom who loves thrill seeking). I didn't show that all the "runs".  But they found how to make a jump and I got a little more time to visit my friends that have passed on.  I remembered where the grave was of my little friend who passed away just before her 8th birthday.  Loren, I still hold you close to my heart and one day will see you and my Daddy again.  Also I visited the grave site of one of my pseudo-parents from my High School years. They are the parents of my wonderful friend, Angie.  (Ang, their headstone faces the next gravesite I'm talking about).

I also showed my family the headstone that is shaped like a thin pulpit with a book opened on top of it.  That was the place where we pretended to preach and also held at least one "wedding" there that I remembered as a child.  This "cemetary hill" was not really a place where I had to be reverent, it was a place of adventure and holds many memories for me. It was a place to celebrate the life of those who rest there. If you ever get to the very top, look for some of the very old markers of the original Alpiner's.
the boys

Carter's snow angel

Jacob's typical "run from the photo" pose

We found the headstone by my mom's memory of counting the steps from the memorial.

Beautiful views from my Dad's grave site and overlooking the street I grew up on.

Sperry sledding spectacular!!


There she goes!