You "CAN" do this. Today we participated in a Emergency Preparedness Expo. My presentation was about the 4 simple steps in the March 2009 Ensign (click HERE to see article). I wanted to pass them along to you. Emergencies aren't JUST about natural disasters. We were happy to have our food stored when I wasn't feeling well. Also, it will come in handy if your family goes through job loss.
#1: Build a 3 month supply gradually. Buy extra food at the grocery store every month until you have about 3 months worth. Don't forget to consider your 72 hour kit your food storage.
#2: Store water: FEMA suggests ONE gallon, ONE person, for ONE day. So, a 55 gallon water barrel would be enough for a family of 5 for about 11 days. You'll need double when it's hotter.
#3: Gradually build a savings. I call it the "stash of cash". Add to a separate savings account a little every week and it will be there to help you in an emergency.
#4: Store Long Term Storage of Food. Don't forget that many of the basic items can now store for over 30 years. Call 800-537-5971 to order a "starter kit". This kit will sustain ONE person for 3 months. (recipes are included and the shelf life is over 30 years).
Good luck, and feel free to post any questions. Be careful, this stuff is FUN to learn (yes, I did say fun!!)