![]() |
| Karen, the day after her brain surgery. "Thumbs up", my mom and dad speak the same language. |
After being at Andrea's for a few days, Andrea was smart enough to take her to the emergency room because the pain was so excruciating for my mom from her headache. We learned it was an aneurysm and that time was critical that she be moved to another hospital where the entire hospital specialized in brain aneurysms. As our Heavenly Father always watches over us, the specialty hospital was only 30 minutes away.
Transported by ambulance, she began the consults and decisions with specialists. During this time, Kris and her husband Wade, Quinn and I were headed on a cross country road trip. We drove 18 hours straight and finally rested at a hotel 1 hour away from the hospital because it was past visiting hours. Driving for long stretches of time was a benefit because Wade used to "drive truck" with is trucker talk for, driving a big rig... which means long hours of driving and knowing where you are going. This skill calmed everyone and we settled in for the roller coaster awaiting. My mom requested a blessing and my wonderful friends Angie and Wade happened to live 30 minutes away from the hospital. They dropped everything and drove to serve our family with a Priesthood blessing. Angie brought a lot of peace to my soul at this time, because she has had a lot of family crisis... she could relate and it helped me so much.
My mom had her aneurysm 4 hour surgery where they somehow took a device thru a vein in her upper leg and into her brain. They clipped the brain vessel before it burst and told us that her recovery could take within 8 months. The blood vessel was behind my mom's eye and so they gave her a patch to wear for the first few days. Soon she was recovering at Andy's and I am so grateful for the quick thinking of my little sister who knew something was terribly wrong. She saved my mom's life during this scare. I'm grateful for Kris and Wade who helped to organize the road trip and kept everyone calm. I'm grateful for Quinn who helped me feel grounded and made a great DJ on the way home during our rounds of "name that tune". I'm grateful for Larry who supports my mom loves her. I'm grateful for Scott, my kids and several friends who made it possible for me to leave only a few hours after we learned about my mom's condition. But most of all, I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father who know's each of us personally. Who blessed me with strength above what I normally have. I recovered each day and was strong enough to face the next day. Many prayers were offered on behalf of my mom.
A week later, my little mommy and Larry were on their way back to Utah. My mom was amazing during her recovery and began to have strength and energy within days of her brain surgery. Her vision continues to improve, and we will see how much her vision is restored; especially since she has macular degeneration which has taken much of her eyesight. During the follow up dr appt 2 days after her surgery, emotions for my mom came to the surface as she was reassured there was no additional brain damage. All of the sudden, the relief and the weight of what she had witnessed swept over her. My mom thanked the Dr multiple times and mentioned that it had been a miracle. I am so Grateful to have witnessed this.
The week after she arrived home, we were discussing the emergency. My mom and I saw many miracles during this time and my mom said that she had always felt peace, even when she wondered if it was her time to die. One of the miracles my mom related to me was, "the miracle was not that things turned out the way you wanted them to. The miracles happened when so many people who don't know each other, were asked to pray and did." Mom asked one sister in the ward to pray for her, she called everyone in the ward. Some knew her, some did not. But the miracle my mom said was that so many people together for one purpose, praying for her.
![]() |
| This is why I've called her "little mommy" but she's one of the strongest women I've ever known. |
Soon, I'll share my little mommy's "marble story".

